1. Why did you choose GMM at WSA/University of Southampton?
After I obtained a bachelor’s degree in management, I felt that management was too broad for me to get a job in the field that I was particularly interested in. I became increasingly interested in the media industry when studying in Manchester. Therefore, I decided to enrich myself by studying a media-related master’s course. When searching for relevant courses online, I found that the GMM programme at the University of Southampton was just what I was looking for. It is perfectly connected with my undergraduate studies. At the same time, it gives me a comprehensive understanding of the development of media.
2. What are you currently doing?
After graduated, I found a placement opportunity in an education company. I was mainly responsable for monitoring trending information through social media, using this information in our product to attract customers and get attention from potential customers. After the placement, I became the channel development manager of the company, provided leadership and guidance for new resellers and used social media platforms to develop the company’s business. After nearly two years’ work experience, I found myself stepping into a bottleneck period. I need to enrich myself if I want to create more possibilities for my life. Therefore, I decided to get a PhD in media and I’m currently working on my research proposal.
3. In what ways does your time on GMM and at WSA/University of Southampton help you with this?
My time at GMM and WSA definitely helped me significantly with what I experienced after graduated. Firstly, the valuable knowledge I gained from this course gave me acute knowledge of the world of digital media, which helped me to get a job easily. Secondly, the rigorous research and practice-based work experience enabled me to put theoretical concepts into practice, so that I did a great job during my placement period and got an unexpected promotion after that. Last but not least, my time at WSA/University of Southampton was the most unforgettable experience of my life. I made so many awesome friends who gave me so much love and support. Also, I met my Mr. Right here!
4. Advice to current GMM students
1) Always keep your feet on the ground, be serious about what you are learning, remember that it is your attitude not aptitude that determins your altitude.
2) Make your career plans as soon as possible. Try to do some interns or placements, grasp any chance to show your abilities.
3) You can either travel or read, but either your body or soul must be on the way.